Thursday, July 30, 2009

Books, Oh How I Love Them!!!

I am a consummate book lover. My husband jokes about my inability to put a book down once I have started it. I have been this way my whole life. I had difficulty learning to read, and once I finally got it, I just never stopped. So this particular blog is to talk about the books that truly touched me..or were just so dang good.

1. The Stand by Stephen King - this is far and away one of the best books that I have ever read. It is not a book that I read over and over again, but Stephen King is a fabulous storyteller. It is a little gruesome, but I always love a book that is a battle between good and evil. If you read it I suggest you get the unabridged version. I read this as a senior in high school, because my English teacher told us about it, and I couldn't wait to get it.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - one of the few books in which I feel that the movie is equally as good as the book. I think I love this book because my mother loves this book. Also Atticus Finch will always remind me of my father.

3. Harry Potter and...(insert title of book here) by J.K. Rowling - okay, for some people they think a grown woman loving this series is a bit weird. J.K. Rowling is probably my hero, she introduced a love of reading to a generation of children, and tells a great story as well. I picked up the first book (which was my sister's) because I was bored one day and decided to see what all the fuss was about...haven't stopped loving them since. Also greatest ending to a series ever!

4. Peace Like a River - I can't remember the name of the author, but you can find it in the fiction section. About a boy and his father, and the journey they take together with family to find the boy's brother. It will make you cry.

5. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver - this was an interesting buy for me. My aunt Candi recommended it, so I bought it. It took me a while to read, but it changed my perspective on a lot of ideas that I held to be written in stone.

6. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - this is the first book in another series that I love. It is a romance (for lack of a better term) with some time-travel thrown in. Don't let it weird you out, if you read it you will love it...promise. Also, Claire and Jamie are two of the best-written characters that I have ever found. I love to reread this book, because it is like revisiting old friends.

7. Clan of the Cave Bear - another start of series (I don't read series on purpose, it just seems to happen to me a lot) I don't really care for the rest of the books in the series, I feel that the author sold out on the way she wrote the books (in other words later books get a bit smutty). This is set in prehistoric times, but it a really good stand alone novel. I am still a little shocked that my mom let me read it when I was younger, but it was probably one of the first "grown-up" books I ever read.

8. Gone With the Wind - Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler, enough said.

9. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - I think my sister stole my copy of this book, but it is just a very well written novel that I enjoyed.

10. The Shining by Stephen King - I am just saying this man can write! After I read The Stand I went bought several more of his novels. This is another favorite. Don't read it at night.


So those are some of my favorites, I have many more. If you decide to read any of them, I truly hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment